July 11, 2017

Tuesday Tunes: Musicals, Oldies, and Kesha


TUESDAY TUNES: MUSICALS, OLDIES, AND KESHA

     This week instead of highlighting one specific genre or album, I'll be talking about three different songs that I have been listening to non-stop like crazy. So here goes nothing, in no particular order.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"She Used to be Mine" from Waitress




Last month I was in a real big musicals phase, and "Waitress" the Broadway musical popped up on one of my playlists on Spotify and I immediately liked it. The song that really got me going though and is my favorite in the musical is "She Used to be Mine". The song was originally written by Sara Bareilles who actually helped write the musical. There is a version she sings and one that the Broadway actress, Jessie Mueller sings, and I much prefer Jessie's version. Even though they are both fantastic singers, I like the sound of Jesse's voice more and I just feel like she brings more emotion to the song. And boy oh boy does the song have such strong emotion. If you listen really closely to the lyrics, there is just so much that is being said that really hits you.

I got bored and decided to do a rough sketch writing thing on Paint


"Killing Me Softly With His Song" by Fugees


Most of you have probably never heard this song before, but it's one of my favorite classic songs. My mom used to play it all the time when I was growing up. I can remember her cooking breakfast in the morning and singing along to this song and while I didn't like it when I was younger, it has really grown on me. I think because I'm older, I understand it more. I just love how the Fuguees all harmonize, and Lauryn Hill has such a beautiful voice. It's not too strong, but still has a power that comes over you. It's like a mixture of gospel, rap, and hip hop, and that combination just works very well.

"Praying" by Kesha




I have always loved Kesha, starting way back in 6th grade (which is crazy to think because I'm going into the 3rd year of university). I can remember going to school dances and rocking out to "Tik Tok" and "We R Who We Are" and all those other great songs. "Praying" is  quite different than her older stuff, but it is a good different, a GREAT different. This song has so much emotion and meaning that her other songs lacked while still being an anthem. She has gone through so much in her career and life and you can really here it in this song. I love how the song starts off kind of quiet and slow but builds up until the end when it's full of energy and power, and I feel like that really represents Kesha's build back into the music industry. I can't wait to hear more greatness from her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Well that's all for this week's "Tuesday Tunes". If you guys haven't listened to the songs, you definitely should, and then when you have tell me your thoughts. I would love to hear what you guys think about these three songs from three very different artists.

Join the conversation!

Please leave a comment down below because I would love to hear your thoughts. To ensure you see my reply, make sure to click "Notify Me".